Rudy and Laney asked me to make their wedding cake last February. Since they were looking for a cake to cut into and only have them taste, I was not as afraid as making a cake for the entire wedding. After getting pregnant, they were kind enough to ask if I was still interested. But I was still up for the adventure.
Unfortunately, the last 2 months have been super busy at work, so I wasn't able to do a trial as early as I wanted. I think Rudy might have been worried since I went to lunch with him and told him how stressful work was and how busy I was. Whoops! Luckily, the weekend before the wedding, I had done a trial on the initial plan of making a bottom tier as 1/4 cake and 3/4 styrofoam. It turned out to be harder than expected and not as good of a transition as expected. So I ended up making a full 12"x 4" cake tier! I started the cake on Friday and didn't start taking photos until I started assembling the cake. My parents happened to come in town and said we should take photos, otherwise no one will believe I made the cake!

First step, level the cake, add some frosting and then stack the 2nd one on top! Dave's artistic shot of the leftover cake in the front and the stacked cake in the back.

Checking to see how level the cake was after putting the first layer of frosting.

Icing the entire cake. After the cake was finished icing, I stuck it into the fridge to let the buttercream set up a bit.

On Saturday, I rolled out some fondant and started covering the cake. I'm putting some piping gel on the bottom of the cake so that the fondant will stick.

Cutting off the excess fondant after the final smoothing.

The three tiers. The top 2 were made out of styrofoam and I had covered them with fondant earlier in the week. On Saturday, I added the branches to the top 2 tiers and painted the bottom tier with white pearl dust to give it some shine.

On Sunday, I put the branches on the bottom tier and stacked the cake! I ended up using bamboo skewers to attach the styrofoam tiers. If I hadn't told you, would you have known that the top 2 tiers were fake?

Another one of Dave's artistic shots. I was re-organizing/packing up my cake supplies while he was taking photos of the cake. The last touch of the cake was adding a thin strip of fondant at the base of each tier to hide the fact that the tiers don't lie perfectly on top of each other.
One of the most stressful parts was driving the cake up to the venue. I hadn't transported a cake this size before, but luckily it worked out well. After dropping the cake off, I was nervous to see how the cake looked like since I wasn't able to position the cake or put on the cake topper.

We finally got to to see the finished cake! It was positioned in a place where there was some nice lighting on it.

A somewhat closer photos of the cake to see the topper.
I think it looked great in the venue and hopefully they loved it. =)
:) thanks for changing your settings so I can comment bomb your blog!
ReplyDeleteVery impressed with the cake, you did a fantastic job!